SOUND and the REPROBATION TRILOGY: Resources for Book Clubs
I’ve had a few enquiries from book clubs, and so I’ve put together a list of questions that might help facilitate a discussion about Sound. Sound can be read as a standalone, but it works best as the third in the Reprobation trilogy, so for those intrepid readers who have read all three, I have added some questions for the trilogy as a whole. I recently joined a book club, invited by my neighbours, and our first session was an absolute joy. We chose Philippa Gregory’s Tidelands, and there was something so exhilarating and empowering about discussing a book together. It’s a great way to get to know people too – better than small talk – and fueled by wine of course!
I love to connect with readers, and the Reprobation trilogy throws up a lot of weighty (and not so weighty) topics for discussion, so if you’re thinking about covering my books, please get in touch!
- How important is location in Sound?
- Mikko and Helen are an odd couple. What do they see in each other?
- How would you describe the writing style? What do the extracts (song lyrics, grimoire excerpts) add to the story?
- What are the main themes in Sound?
- Do you think there really was a voice from beyond hell? Or was it in everyone’s imagination?
- How has Darren developed as a character? Do you think he can carry on being a police officer?
For those who have read Reprobation, Consuming Fire and Sound!
- How important is location in the books?
- How important is the supernatural?
- Do you think the author is religious?
- What does Darren learn?
- The author is a musician and music journalist. How important is music in each of the three books?
- What are the main themes that run through the trilogy?
- Which was your favourite book in the trilogy, and why?
- Who was your favourite character? Did some characters work better than others?
- Who would play the main characters in a TV or movie adaptation of the Reprobation trilogy?
- Would you read a fourth book in this series? What would you like to read more of/less of?